Name: Daniel O
Location: Sydney, Australia
How long have you been a talent on TRF: 4 years
Introducing Daniel, the model who's redefining the industry. From jet-setting adventures to captivating brand collaborations, his life is a whirlwind of excitement. Curious to know how he manages his finances, negotiates rates, and stays on top of industry trends? Discover Daniel's secrets to success and get a sneak peek at his upcoming projects in the article below. Prepare to be inspired and intrigued by his remarkable journey!
1. What inspired you to become a model/actor/influencer and how did you get started in the industry?
It was the lifestyle that first attracted me to modeling. Staying healthy, traveling, seeking out new experiences and the opportunity to work alongside talented creatives always inspired me. I grew up in Country NSW and moved to Sydney after high school where I met an incredible agent who guided my career for 15 years. Soon after I started modeling I landed a Men's Health Australia cover which kicked everything off, booking jobs with popular fitness and swimwear brands.
2. Can you walk us through a typical day in your life as a model/actor/influencer?
A sunrise swim, walk and coffee with my dog. My day is always varied, usually meetings to work on brand collaborations, shooting new content, castings for photo shoots and working on my other businesses. The afternoon will always catch me in the sun somewhere followed by a high intensity gym workout.
3. How do you manage your finances as a model/actor/influencer, and what strategies have you found most effective?
Modeling has been both my main gig at various times and also a side hustle to compliment my other work. I studied a Masters in design and urban planning at University and have worked as a development consultant in that field. Along the way I completed my Cert 3 & 4 in personal training which has always complimented my lifestyle, helping clients achieve their health and fitness goals. Earnings can vary a lot with modeling, so it always helped me to budget, and continue to upskill in other areas so there has always been positive cashflow and another vocation to pursue after modeling.
4. What types of brand partnerships have you worked on in the past, and how do you decide which collaborations to take on as a model/actor/influencer?
I have been lucky to work alongside many incredible brands ranging from skincare, nutrition, charities and not for profits, fashion brands, lifestyle brands and also support for local businesses and friends with startups. The beauty of modeling is that you can lend your image to many different brands, ideas and really put your energy into supporting those that align most with your values.
5. Can you share any tips for negotiating rates with brands, and how you determine your own value as a model/actor/influencer?
I always request a full brief from the client at the start (time commitment, budget, usage) to determine whether the opportunity is fitting for both client and me. Requesting as much information as possible in the beginning is always best for transparency and to guide that decision more effectively.
6. How do you stay updated with industry trends and best practices as a model/actor/influencer, and what resources do you rely on for education and inspiration?
I follow clients, friends and brands that I like to work with to see how their content is evolving, but ultimately, consistency is always best practice. Keeping fit and healthy and maintaining good relationships are the most effective tools I have found to continue booking jobs.
7. Have you faced any challenges or setbacks in your career as a model/actor/influencer, and how did you over come them?
There have been challenges, I have had sporting injuries that have sidelined me for a time, which is also a great time to reflect on the direction my life is heading and use the down time to continue upskilling in other areas. I used that time to finish a university degree and build businesses that work well alongside modeling.
8. How do you achieve work-life balance as a model/actor/influencer even when life throws unexpected challenges your way?
It's always helped me to have a good routine of healthy habits that keep me motivated. That way even when life throws those curve balls, it really helps me go back to the basics. Whether it be movement, ocean swims, good food, quiet time, connecting with close friends and family and sunrise/sunset walks with my dog, these tools always enhance my wellbeing and keep me grounded.
9. What advice would you give to aspiring models/actors/influencers who are starting out and looking to build a successful career in the industry?
Consistency is key. Hard work pays off. Always be grateful for every opportunity that comes along. Practice being the nicest person in the room. Most of all, have fun with it all.
10. How do you see the model/actor/influencer industry evolving in the next 5-10 years, and what changes do you anticipate?
I have seen the industry rapidly evolve in the 15yrs I have been modeling. In the early days modeling was very localized, however with the rise of social media, a good profile can be seen globally, and opportunities can scale quickly. It's an exciting time to really chase the dream.
11. Can you share any upcoming projects or partnerships that you're excited about, and how do you plan to continue growing your brand as a model/actor/influencer?
I will be traveling to Europe which is always a good time to reach out to brands and let them know, so with that being said, there will be a few photoshoots overseas in Greece, Italy and Croatia soon which will be fun.